Where to go for support – Australia

The history of the care system has some painful moments. Should you require support at any time, we would encourage you to reach out. This page includes some organisations in Australia who will be able to help should you need some support.

Published on

Share this

Care Experienced Specific Support Services

  • Find and Connect:
    This service is free to call from all states and territories on 1800 16 11 09. It will be able to direct you on what support is available in your area.

  • National Redress Sheme:
    The National Redress Scheme provides where to access support based on your location. You can contact them on 1800 737 377.

  • Relationships Australia – Redress Support Services:
    Free to call from all states and territories on 1800 998 187. The scheme provides acknowledgement and support to people who experienced child sexual abuse in institutions across Australia.

  • Link Up:
    Link Up is an organisation focused on supporting the Stolen Generation. It also provides services to subsequent generations of family members who have been affected by intergenerational trauma related to removal.

  • CLAN:
    CLAN offers support to people who have grown up in Orphanages, Children’s Homes, Missions and Foster Care in Australia and New Zealand, or whose parents or other family members had this experience. You do not need to be a member of CLAN to use its counselling service.

  • Tuart Place:
    Tuart Place, located in Fremantle, is a resource service for people who have been in out of home care in Western Australia. It provides a range of services including finding records, family tracing, counselling, computer classes and social activities. You can place notices in their newsletter if you are looking for family or people who were in care with you. The service is open three days each week and can be contacted on 08 6140 2380 or 1800 619 795. Their email address is admin@tuartplace.org.

  • Wattle Place:
    Wattle Place offer a number of support services for Care Experienced people across the New South Wales. You can contact them on 1800 663 844 (from within NSW) or (02) 8837 7000 (outside NSW). Their email address is wpcaseworker@ransw.org.au.

Other Specialised Support Services

  • Blue Knot Foundation:
    If you have experienced childhood trauma, you can speak with a Blue Knot Helpline trauma counsellor. They also offer support and can help with applications around national redress. They are available on 1800 657 380.

  • 1800 Respect:
    This service provides a national counselling service for anyone with experience of sexual, domestic or family violence. You can contact them on 1800 737 732.

General Support Services

  • Lifeline:
    Free call, 24-hour service for all states and territories on 13 11 14.

  • Beyond Blue:
    1300 22 4636

  • Headspace:
    1800 367 968

  • Sane Australia:
    1800 18 7263

  • You can also see your doctor for a Mental Health Care Plan and get help from an accredited mental heath care worker of your choice. Find out more through this link.